This is not a substitute for legal advice.  An attorney must be consulted.

"This work is protected under the copyright laws of the United States.  No reproduction, use, or disclosure of this work shall be permitted without the prior express written authorization of the copyright owner.  Copyright © 1994 - 2015 by LAWCHEK, LTD."


Do I need to let individuals know that I have changed my name?

Once your name has been officially changed and has been adopted by your state, you will need to update certain records and notify the following organizations and government agencies:

  Private Corporations

Banks, Credit Card Companies, Insurance Companies, Utilities, Landlord. 

  Government Agencies

Post Office, State Welfare, Child Support, Veteran’s Administration.


IRS Name Change

  Department of Motor Vehicle in your State

  Voter Registration




This is not a substitute for legal advice. An attorney must be consulted.